Pollution is now days the biggest threat to life. Gone are those days when we used to think of fresh air and water but now in this earth we will not be able to find a single place in this living planet which is pollution free. Air pollution, Water Pollution and Soil Pollution are the three main pollution which is making our life hell day by day and we are getting helpless. It can be defined as the presence of materials in the air in such concentration which are harmful to man and his environment. Air Pollution in India is something which is not getting controlled even after all the control measures. Certainly in foreign countries to some extent the situation is under control but air pollution in India is getting out of control day by day. In fact air pollution is the occurrence or addition of foreign particles, gases and other pollutants into the air which have an adverse effect on human beings, animals, vegetation, buildings etc. We will discuss in detail about its causes, effects and how to control .
Air Pollution can be classified into two segments. One is Visible and another is invisible . Although there are many causes of Air Pollution but we will list out the main causes of the same. The main causes of Air Pollution are –
- Agricultural Activities – Ammonia is the byproduct of every agricultural activity and is one of the most polluting gases in the atmosphere. Now days we use a lot of insecticides and pesticides in agricultural production and the uses of insecticides and pesticides emit harmful gases in the atmosphere and causes air pollution. The use of fertilizers also causes soil pollution and water pollution also.
- Burning of Fossil Fuels – Sulphur Dioxide emitted from the buring of fossil fuels like coal, petroleum and other combustible gases is one of the major causes of Air pollution. Gases emitted from vehicles including trucks, jeeps, cars, trains, airplanes cause immense amount of pollution.
- Mining Operations – Mining is a process through which minerals are extracted from the earth using large equipments. During the process dust and chemicals are released in the atmosphere causing massive Air Pollution.
- Exhaust from Factories and Industries – Exhaust from Factories and Industries is again another cause of Air Pollution. Now days due to rapid industrialization manufacturing industries release large amount of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, organic compounds and chemicals into the air thereby depleting the quality of air.
- Rapid Urbanization – Rapid Urbanization is another major cause of Air pollution as due to rapid urbanization trees are getting cut and forests are getting cleared and no one is there to absorb the poisonous gases which is again increasing air pollution day by day.
The main effects of Air Pollution can be listed as –
- Respiratory and Health Problems.
- Global warming is another major effect of Air Pollution
- Depletion of Ozone Layer
- Acid Rain is another major effect of Air Pollution.
- Eutrophication is a condition where high amount of nitrogen present in some pollutants gets developed on seas surface and turns itself into algae and adversely affects aquatic life.
- Wild Life is getting effected day by day and our wild life resources are not able to survive as due to air pollution the natural instinct is missing and due to the emission of poisonous gases the wild species are getting habitat to some other places.
- Agricultural productivity is getting affected day by day. Due to the increase in air pollution the crop yield is getting reduced day by day and if this is not controlled at the earliest then we will die of hunger one day.
Control of Air Pollution is becoming the need of the hour and if we are not able to control it we will be finished. The various Air control measures are as –
- Forest should be protected and the forest cover should be protected. Adequate forest cover is essential for maintaining the quality of air. Trees absorb the harmful gases and protect the atmosphere.
- Automobile engines should be redesigned in such a way so that the emission of gases causes minimum pollution. Old automobiles engines should be replaced by new one. People should not use vehicles for short distances and should be encouraged to use shared vehicle.
- Electric engines should be used in place of steam engine to reduce pollution.
- Industrial areas should be located at a safe distance from the residential areas. The government should come with laws with a mandate that industries can be located at least 100 km away from the residential areas.
- Newly designed smoke free furnaces should be used.
- In Industries new pollution controlling devices should be created so that pollution could be checked.
- Cheap and best pollution controlling devices should be created and should be made compulsory at high pollution zones so that air pollution can be reduced.
- Steps should be taken for immediate check of forest fires.
- Air pollution in India can be controlled only when we should check the use of traditional fuels as the burning of these fuels pollutes the air and causes air pollution.
- With the help of chemical reactions harmful effects of pollution can be controlled.
So through this article we have discussed in brief , the various causes , its effects and control of Air pollution. We all know that Air pollution is the biggest threat to all kind of respiratory diseases and if it is not checked and reduced we all will be finished after some days. The government t is taking all kinds of measures to reduce it but this can be controlled only when we all join hand and fight this collectively. There are very small things which should be taken care and this can be controlled in a big way. Air pollution in India is increasing day by day and immediate steps should be taken by all of us to control it by taking all the possible control measures and soon we will have a green and clean environment.